So on Wednesday afternoon, after getting stuck on traffic and finding myself on Stockton Boulevard (the main drag through South Sacramento), I realized that I wasn't too far from a few thrift stores in the south area. So hey, thought I, maybe I'll find some goodies for my camera (as Nikon's lens compatibility goes all the way back to about the time of the birth of Greg Oden).

While I didn't find those...I did find these two not-so-keepsakes at bargain prices. First off, Thrift Town at Stockton and Lawrence provided this "gem" -- a Darius Songaila plastic bobblehead worth only $3! So I took an impromptu photo of it in its environs outside, with a blank billboard in view. And yes, there was a second Songaila bobblehead available, assuming there is any demand for this lacktion figure of a role player now cashing in millions as part of the Washington Wizards Generals.

Darius bobble

After that was done, I headed over to the Goodwill Store at Franklin and Florin, across the street from an abandoned Albertsons and Burger King duo. Not expecting to find more cartoonish representations of bawful, I ended up finding a Bobby Jackson doll from a Subway promotion -- for those who do believe that working way too hard for mediocrity will be rewarded! Like the Songalia shot, I framed this representation of the Kings' current operating budget pretty much near where I purchased it.

Bobby doll

Somehow, I actually paid a dollar more for that, despite the not-so-lifelike detailing! Amazing.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
LOL that Bobby Jackson doll looks like Franklin from "Arrested Development"

Blogger Factfinder said...
I propose that we call bobble heads of unproductive players ...*drum roll*....

LACKTION Figures :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
AK Dave is dead on with that comparison.

"My name is Judge."

Blogger chris said...
Factfinder: Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of to describe Songaila's bobble, as noted in the article itself. :D

Now I'm imagining the Franklin Mint non-commemorative plates though for some of the greatest lacktators of all time, like Jake Voskuhl and Mario West...

I was at the Sacramento airport this weekend and went over to the fan souvenir shop looking for similar silly merchandise. BUT was stopped dead in my tracks when approaching I saw that the most prominently displayed items were LAKERS jerseys and a cardboard display of Kobe Bryant? Is this a rogue LA retail operative or is the ship really that sunk?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
did you miss the shaq twitter thing ?
shaq twittered at halftime after charlie v was banned from doing so, and he just did it to show he can get away with it. twittered shaq before the game: "Attention all twitterers I'm a tweet at halftime and not get fined like vill a new wave a whteva his name is". and at halftime he twittered "Shhhhhhh".

again, such a classy person this shaquille guy. he has all the class and the brain power of a fuckin 3rd grader.

the guy has no respect for anybody, and i have a feeling fewer and fewer people respect him, even if they might say they do. he's still sort of entertaining, but becomes more and more of an ass clown. in fact he should be nicknamed "the big ass clown" which encapsulates both the fact that he's got a big ass and the fact that he's become an ass clown.

Blogger chris said...
Garbage Time All-Stars: The OTHER LA Team randomly has some crap at the dollar store a block or two from my apartment in the eastern part of Sacramento, no joke. I may have to go there tonight after work to provide proof!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqtc.QPnCjOI5f7YQDd6SFy8vLYF?slug=ap-iverson-lawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

poor AI - wait, I take that back. the best part in this article is that it actually describes him as 'watching idly by'

Anonymous Anonymous said...
@chris and garbage
there are a lot of laker fans in sactown, myself included. anytime i wear lakers gear, i get booed one moment and high fived the next

Blogger Ibrahim said...
Where do you get your pictures from?? I love them and want the originals.

Blogger chris said...
Anonymous: Yeah, that's one thing (and I have heard that for years), but seeing Clippers material at a dollar store is another whole level of bawful higher than that.

In honor of Eddie Bo, you'd better rename for one day Basketbawful to BasketBOful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/arts/music/24bo.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Blogger chris said...
Mohammed: I actually took both of those pictures myself, at the parking lots of said fine establishments that provided the lacktion figures. :D